About the CIS Rome-Floyd School Mentor/Volunteer Program
- CIS Rome-Floyd administrates this program for Floyd County Schools and Rome City Schools.
- Interested individuals may mentor or volunteer at any school in either or both school systems.
- A mandatory training and background check are required by the two school systems.
- Trainings are held regularly throughout the academic year and various times and locations.
- Please see the calendar dates and locations of trainings on this site.
Training, Application, and Background Check
- The purpose of the training is to familiarize potential mentors and volunteers of the rules and procedures. Also, it is to complete the necessary paperwork needed to document your participation.
- The paperwork process includes completing an application and a form to consent to have a background check processed.
- This training remains in effect for three years.
- *Beginning August 1, 2018, participants desiring to serve as a Mentor or Volunteer in any school within the Floyd County School System will have to pay for their own fingerprint background check. The $40.00 fee will be due and payable to Communities in Schools of Rome-Floyd County at the time and location of training. Individuals will be not be authorized by CIS to be fingerprinted until they complete the training and pay the associated $40.00 fee for the background check. There will be no exceptions. CIS will accept cash, money order, or debit/credit card only as forms of payment. No personal checks will be accepted.
The Mentor’s Commitment/Role
- The Mentor commitment is one visit per week at school, usually an hour, 1 on 1 at least for one hour a week on a consistent basis.
- The commitment is to a specific student for an academic year.
- The program is school-based. No contact is to be done outside of school grounds.
- Mentors that have a particular career, hobby or skill can be of great interest to mentees. This can be an automatic common bond in the relationship.
The Volunteer’s Commitment/Role
- A Volunteer provides a general service for a school for an academic year.
- Service typically will be at one school usually for a class, program, or event (PTO, field trip, etc.)
- Volunteers are vital resources in our schools. They perform important functions in the classroom, on field trips, and on-site school events.